Why you might need a Family lawyer: 

When legal issues arise between family members (such as divorce and custody disputes) you need a family lawyer who can balance professionalism with compassion and the kind of empathy and understanding that these emotional situations demand.

At New South, our team is made of lawyers who are also passionate about their own families. This gives them an intimate understanding of the importance of providing clients with clear legal advice to help them navigate through the challenges of family law with a clear legal plan that allows them to move forwards.

Whether it is completing and lodging all necessary forms and appearing with you at court when required or drafting binding financial agreements prior to marriage, or after separation, our sensitivity to the situation and ability to deal with difficult familiar dynamics with care and compassion ensures that disputes concerning children, access rights and property are managed in the most discreet ways. 

What we do:

Our Family Lawyers can help you apply for, calculate and challenge child support payments should the administrative assessment be considered unfair when dealing with a divorce. Enquire in confidence.

Whether you are paying, or receiving, we can support you through the process of spousal or de facto maintenance. (That is, the financial support paid by a party to a marriage to their former husband,wife or de facto in circumstances where they are unable to adequately support themselves). If you have questions about whether you qualify, we can answer them.

If you are being denied access to your child without a formal order, our Family Lawyers can ensure that this privilege is preserved when dealing with a divorce. You have rights. Find out yours

It is generally compulsory under Australian family law for separated parents to attempt Family Dispute Resolution (FDR) before applying to a family law court for parenting orders. The main objective of FDR is to help participants come to their own agreements. We can help with this.

New South Lawyers’ Family Lawyers will work with parents and guardians to help them come up with arrangements that are in the best interests of the children, during the separation process. Are your rights protected? Reach out to find out.

We represent individuals charged with domestic violence, and also handle cases for victims of family violence. Contact us.

A recovery order is an application you can make to the court in the event your child is taken from you by the other parent. Whether you require one or are challenging one, we can help. Reach out to learn more.

At New South Lawyers, our team of experienced Family Lawyers can provide advice and assistance regarding prenuptial agreements. This ensures your financial entitlements are always maintained. Get help now.

Australia is an equitable distribution country - meaning net wealth is not split evenly (i.e. 50/50) - following a divorce. To guide you through this process and ensure you justly receive your entitlements, speak to a member of our Family Law team today. Find out how we can help you. 

There are many considerations when you are going through a divorce or separation. New South Lawyers’ Family Law team can help provide you with the emotional, financial and legal support services you need. Enquire in confidence. 

Ask us for advice.

Our Family Lawyers are experienced in handling matters where concerns have been raised about the care and protection of a child or young person under the age of 18 years. We can represent you in the NSW Children's Court and ensure that court orders are made to adequately secure the safety, wellbeing and welfare of your children. Ask us for advice.

Occasionally, Family Law disputes arise with parties in different countries and jurisdictions. In these instances, you may need the services of an experienced family lawyer to help you determine the correct laws that apply to a child protection case, and how this affects your entitlements to custody, access to a child and guardianship. You have rights. Find out yours.

The Supreme Court of NSW has “inherent”, “protective” or “wardship” jurisdiction over children - known as parens patriae. This allows the court to take the best interest of the child into consideration and make orders for the protection of those who are unable to protect themselves. If you need advice on a parens patriae matter, we can help with this.

Parents have a duty to ensure that their child is enrolled in, and attends, a government or registered non-government school or is registered for and receives appropriate homeschooling. If these obligations are not met, legal intervention may be required. If you are concerned that a child is not receiving a satisfactory education, we can help you apply to the Children's Court for an order that compels attendance. Reach out to find out. 

When it comes to the placement of children, adoption and guardianship are the most traditional options. However, as they are highly technical and complex processes under Australian Family Law (with the potential to have long-term effects on all parties involved), it is highly recommended that the services of experienced Family Lawyers are utilised. If you require support on matters of adoption or guardianship, contact us. 

The NSW Civil & Administrative Tribunal (NCAT), has the capacity to involve itself in matters made under the Children (Education and Care Services) National Law (NSW). This includes: suspending or cancelling a provider approval or service approval of child education care services and/or suspending or cancelling a supervisor certificate​. If you need support in filing an application to review a decision to remove a child from an authorised carer, get help from our experienced Family Lawyers now. 

Who we do it for:

We work with all parties involved in family law disputes to advise on the most appropriate ways of dividing assets after the dissolution of a relationship, while minimising ongoing family disruption.

How much am I entitled to in a divorce if my partner cheated on me
Ask us in Confidence