Why you might need a financial services & tax lawyer:

New South Lawyers’ financial services & tax lawyers can help you develop a legal strategy that protects you and your financial assets. Whether you are yourself an individual working in the financial services industry, or dealing with matters in the financial planning, investment, superannuation or refinancing space, our team can help you understand your rights and obligations.

Our Financial Services & Tax Lawyers will can provide you with the necessary information to assist you with developing and structuring your business appropriately,  guide you through the process of applying for financial services, and review your business model so it is tax optimised.

What we do:

New South Lawyers’ Tax & Financial Services Lawyers can help you understand the regulatory and legal frameworks that govern the operation and conduct of banks. Whether you are a professional member of the banking and finance industry, or a consumer, (including businesses), using the products and services offered by banks. We can ensure you are compliant and protected with contracts related to saving accounts, term deposit accounts, credit card accounts, personal loan accounts, home loan accounts and life Insurance. Find out how we can help you.

Whether you are a business, financial professional or consumer our Tax & Financial Services Lawyers can aid you with matters related to ASIC- the regulator of the financial services industry in Australia. These include information to help to start and manage your business or company; help with applying for and maintaining your licence or professional registration and support surrounding ASIC’s power in regulating financial services and products (and what to do when you have a problem with your finances) as well as protection against misleading or deceptive and unconscionable conduct affecting all financial products and services, including credit. If you need support in these matters, enquire in confidence. 

Did you know that you must be covered by an Australian credit licence to engage in credit activities? Similarly, If you conduct a financial services business, you must have an Australian financial services (AFS) licence. Our Tax & Financial Services Lawyers can help you through the process of applications and disputes for both through ASIC. Ask us for advice.

If you are unsatisfied with your findings from the AFCA (who provide consumers and small businesses with fair, independent dispute resolution for financial complaints), New South Lawyers’ Tax & Financial Services Lawyers can help. You have rights. Find out yours. 

Whether simple or complex, our Tax & Financial Services Lawyers can help you in the preparation and/or negotiation of a number of loan and security documents. Our team can ensure documents for loan agreements, mortgages, and security agreements are prepared accurately and clearly contain all of the loan particulars, including: the loan term, amount and repayment manners; the ability of the borrower to re-draw on the loan; the payment terms and interest rates; the provision of security; and what constitutes a default with accompanying default provisions. We can help with this.

Our Tax & Financial Services Law team can advise on the best courses of action to take to maximise your Managed Funds, including managed investment schemes, exchange-traded products and corporate collective investment vehicles. Is your business protected? Reach out to find out. 

New South Lawyers’ Tax & Financial Services Law experts can provide advice on the key steps required to ensure compliance with responsible lending obligations. Contact us.

If you need an experienced Tax & Financial Services Law expert who can assist you in understanding Superannuation legislation and the legal issues and regulations supporting this area of law as they pertain to your individual circumstances, you will find it at New South Lawyers. We can also support you with establishing a Self Managed Superannuation Fund (SMSF) as regulated by the ATO, so you can take advantage of benefits including investment choice; tax control; estate planning; borrowing ability; pension planning; and asset protection. Get help now.

Australian Tax Office (ATO) disputes can occur in a wide variety of Tax Law matters related to your business ventures. Whether your taxation law concerns are related to: income tax; audits; tax objections; Goods and Services Tax (GST); Capital Gains Tax (CGT); Fringe Benefits Tax (FBT); land tax; payroll tax, or stamp duty, our tax lawyers can guide you through the process in an efficient manner with the aim of achieving the best result possible for you. Reach out to learn more. 

If your business needs help in understanding your GST obligations, or wishes to avoid making business mistakes around basis GST requirements such as proper record and account keeping, issues arising from the lodgement of Business Activity Statements (BAS) and registration for GST purposes, speak to a member of our experienced Tax Law team. Find out how our experienced Taxation Lawyers can help you. 

In general terms, a capital gain (or a capital loss) is the difference between what it originally cost you to get an asset compared to what it cost you to dispose of the asset. In addition to reducing your CGT liability, our experienced Taxation Law lawyers can give you advice on CGT matters including: the acquisition of CGT assets; the disposal of CGT assets; CGT implications on inheritances and deceased estates; CGT considerations in relation to asset protection; how marriage, divorce and other involuntary disposals of assets affect your CGT liability; investment schemes and CGT liability; and the rollover of a CGT loss. To learn more, enquire in confidence. 

As an employer, you will be liable to pay any fringe benefits tax fringe benefits (such as company cars, membership and reimbursement for non-work-related expenses) that are provided to your employees. However, the fringe benefits tax legislation can be complex with there being exceptions and qualifications as to when the FBT is payable. Ask our experienced Tax Lawyers for advice. 

If you are liable to pay land tax (generally on land that you own that is not your primary residence), payroll tax (a state levied tax imposed primarily on the wages that an employer pays to its employees) or stamp duties (the tax that state and territory governments charge for certain documents and transactions), then we can support you. You have rights. Find out yours.

For taxation purposes, under Division 7A of the Income Tax Assessment Act 1936, amounts paid, lent or forgiven by a private company to certain associated entities (for example employees or shareholders) are treated as dividends, unless the payments fall within specified exclusions. A Division 7A or ‘Div 7A’ deemed dividend is generally taken to be paid at the end of the income years of the company in which the amount was paid. Due to the complexity of the Taxation Laws surrounding deemed dividends and Div 7A dividends, it is important you understand the effects of making payments to associated entities and whether the payments will be considered to be a deemed dividend. Our Tax & Financial Services Lawyers can help with this. 

Our Tax & Financial Services Lawyers can advise on a range of tax matters. Examples include personal, corporate, partnerships, trusts, Not For Profits (NFP) and Self Managed Super Funds (SMSF) including set up and how the funds can be withdrawn. Is your business protected? Reach out to find out.

The ATO issues Public Rulings or Determinations, Private Rulings, Class Rulings, Product Rulings and Interpretative Decisions. These are all sources of authority in how Taxation Law is interpreted and applied by the Commissioner of Taxation. Our Taxation Law team can help with this. Contact us.

Who we do it for:

We have experience acting as independent children’s lawyers, for children who have been removed from their families. We have also represented parents who need help having their children returned to them, and individuals seeking guardianship to care for children that have been removed from their parents.

Binding Financial Agreements
Ask us in Confidence